Eastern European scholarship
We also support students from member countries of the European Union and acceding countries for the duration of the complete course of studies in Germany.
- High academic achievement at school or university
- Proven commitment in social, political, religious or cultural affairs
- Membership of a Protestant or Anglican church (exceptions possible)
- Fulfillment of the general entry requirements for German universities and colleges
- Enrolment at a German university or college for the period of the scholarship
- Students at a university can apply until the 5th semester
- Students at a university of applied sciences can apply until the 3rd semester
- An advanced or proficient level of German (DSH)
Our Eastern European scholarship
Within the framework of the support for Eastern Europe, Evangelisches Studienwerk awards scholarships for studying at German universities of applied sciences and universities. We support students from Eastern European member states or accession countries of the EU in all disciplines and specialist subjects. The important criteria are their enthusiasm for their own subject, good performances and a keen interest in interdisciplinary topics.
We are glad to receive applications from students and potential students from the Eastern European region and support students without trial periods for the whole duration of their studies in Germany. In this way we would like to give them time to get to know Evangelisches Studienwerk with its wide range of offers, and allow them to get involved and help shape things.
Within the framework of our impellent support, we offer our students intensive and individual support, a varied and interdisciplinary range of seminars as well as the responsible codetermination of scholarships at all levels. Our financial scholarship includes up to 649 Euros monthly (calculated according to the guidelines of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)) plus an allowance for study issues. Unfortunately we cannot support any students in part-time, correspondence or dual courses of studies.
Requirements for the application for the Eastern European scholarship
Evangelisches Studienwerk is looking for young people who are interested in their subject, achieve good performances, take on responsibility in society and are keen to think creatively and broaden their horizon. The following formal requirements must be fulfilled for the application:
- Proven social commitment (for instance church, politics, social, environment)
- Membership in a Protestant church (exceptions are possible when submitting a special application: information sheet for special applications [PDF])
- Citizenship of a member state or accession country of the European Union or other citizenship in accordance with Section 8 of the German Federal Training Assistance Act (BAFöG)
- For applicants without German citizenship: good German language skills (DSH certificate, TestDaf (test for foreign learners of the German language)
- Valid qualification for university studies (for instance general or advanced entrance qualification)
- At the time of selection (July) the students must not have advanced beyond the 4th subject-related semester
- For students striving for a double degree the number of semesters in the course of studies first commenced is decisive
- Applicants who are older than 35 must also enclose a special application (information sheet for special applications [PDF])
- Receipt of the processing charge (12 euros) until completion of application
Within the framework of the Eastern Europe support we only provide grants to students with citizenship of an Eastern European member state or accession country of the EU who are studying at a university in Germany. Please note that it is not possible to exclusively apply for support for a Masters course. We also cannot support part-time, correspondence or dual courses of studies.
The application is made via our online application portal. Please carefully read the following instructions and register via the link below.
You must fill in the following documents for your complete application and upload them:
- Application form (is available in the online area)
- Tabular curriculum vitae with foto (max. 2 pages, font size 12 Arial)
- Detailed curriculum vitae in continuous text, with presentation of personal background, social commitment and specialist and other areas of interest (max. 3 pages, font size 12 Arial)
- Report on experiences of past year of school or studies (if applicable on services, internships, professional activities you have been involved in), with explanations of motivation for studying in Germany and choice of studies (max. 3 pages, font size 12 Arial)
- University entrance certificate for German universities
- For applicants who have already enrolled for a course of studies: an overview of performances already achieved in their studies
- Any possible special applications: information sheet for special applications [PDF]
- Furthermore, original copies of the following documents must be submitted by mail:
- Specialist report on ability to study, specialist qualification and suitability for the (planned) course of studies
- Report on social commitment, with period of time, scope, type and means of commitment
Please note that we only accept reports which were drawn up using our report forms. You will find the forms and important information here:
After you have registered via the link below, you will receive your log-in data for the online application portal by e-mail. It may take a while before you are sent your personal password. With your log-in data you will then be able to log in and process your application data at any time until the deadline for applications. Please note that you have to click the "Finalise entries" button on the start page of the online application portal to subsequently send your application. You will then be confirmed automatically by e-mail that the application documents have been transmitted in good time.
As soon as we have checked your documents, we will contact you. A selection team will then decide whether you will be invited to a selection interview in Haus Villigst in Schwerte/Ruhr (Germany). The selection team will then conduct the selection interview with you in German: this will last about half an hour. These selections are generally made in July, parallel to our main selections. You must personally attend the selection process.
All communication within the framework of the process is by e-mail. We therefore request that you should be definitely available for contact by e-mail and should promptly notify us if there are any changes in your contact data. Furthermore, we would like to inform you that your data will be electronically processed for the selection and forwarded to the persons involved in this process.
Application deadlines and fees
Please note that we can only accept you in our support programme if you are already studying or you are going to commence studies on the next possible date after the selection process. If you are not yet studying, please always apply for the process which begins before the planned commencement of your studies.
The application deadline for acceptance for the winter semester is 1st March (midnight). The selection processes are then in July/August. The application deadline for acceptance for the summer semester is 1st September (midnight). The selection processes are then carried out in February/March.
We charge a fee of 12 Euros for processing your application. Please transfer this sum to the following account by the end of the application process:
Account holder: Ev. Studienwerk e.V. Villigst
IBAN DE74 3506 0190 2112 5700 15
Reason for payment: Name, first name, »Bewerbung Grundförderung«
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us:
Frau Lenzen/ Frau Preuß
Telefon: 02304 755-363